Friday, March 28, 2008

Signed up

Apparently there are mini-leagues allowed in the ESPN Fantasy format, but I'm required to join the expert one with a bunch of other soccer writers, so no little Sideline Views minileague - unless someone else (cough, cough) wants to start one.

I was so intent on bargain-hunting my team that I had money left over. I might go back and make changes. I thought about turning my managership into a proxy for readers here - Hey readers, who should I trade?-type of thing, but I've decided that I've got to suck it up and figure the fantasy thing out on my own. More or less. Suggestions and tips are welcome.

I named my team FirstTime, not only for the obvious (I'm a fantasy-league newbie), but also, that's how I like my strikers to take shots.

I won't reveal my entire player list (not sure if that's not easily accessed by outsiders on the site, though), but if anyone cares enough to ask if I signed a specific player, I'll answer.

11 comments:

nothingtoseehere said...

Going off what you may have seen in practice, do you think Beckham is worth it (did you pick him up)?

League: Sideline Views
PWD: saynotoSanJo

A.C. said...

I did include Beckham, I have to confess. He looks fine in practice, but I picked him more to test the theory that he gives good performance value when healthy.

A.C. said...

Thanks for starting the SV league, rhdigitalys!
If I had my way, though, San Jose players would be a bit more welcome. I, for one, am really looking forward to road trips up there this year - if gas doesn't keep rising in price!

Dan Haug said...

I've been playing Fantasy on the MLS site the last couple of years. Anyone have a comparison of the two?

bdure said...

Beat the experts here.

nothingtoseehere said...

I think MLS fantasy has a better system but the interface is atrocious comapared to ESPN fantasy.

A.C. said...

Trust me, Beau, I really haven't done this before. Proof - I transferred four players already. I didn't realize there was a transfer limit. I guess I'm down to 26 now.
I have to say, I do like the interface - my little player avatar pops up with what looks like a Lego version of the player complete with MLS jersey design.
Actually, I'm crummy with most video games, but I enjoy Lego Star Wars a lot. I wish EA would put together a Lego FIFA. That would be hilarious, very cute, and fun.

The Hammer said...

Had to join...

bdure said...

Andrea -- All these leagues are different. Some leagues have transfer limits, some don't.

I botched my lineup because I thought I'd have time to make changes after hitting "Save Team." The application almost shut down on me, so I hit "Save" as soon as I could, even though I had all my bargain picks in the midfield and still had $10m to spend. As soon as I hit it, I found out I couldn't make any changes without counting it against my 30.

The really sad part about all this from my perspective is that the ESPN folks were probably in high school when I was writing fantasy columns. My morning aches should be enough to remind me of my age.

A.C. said...

I do know that though the espn guys rushed to finish the MLS version before the new season started, that it apparently uses the same engine/format/programming that their other fantasy games do - they do the leagues in Europe and stuff like that.
If anyone from Europe/or another country who just paid attention to those leagues previously signs up, could you let me know how you're doing? I think it would be interesting to see some of the picks that an MLS newbie would make.

starinyourfire said...

i joined the group, my team is FC Deadbolt