Sunday, October 14, 2007

Another piece of hardware

From the rich get richer category...

D.C. United picked up their umpteenth trophy on Sunday. Well, I don't know if they actually physically received it - I would venture to say they didn't. But the 2007 Supporters' Shield is theirs.

It's a significant accomplishment. Never before has an MLS team captured consecutive Supporters Shield titles. D.C. has set the standard from the start so that they became the first team to walk away with the honor doesn't surprise me. D.C. won the first MLS Cup, was the first MLS team to win a U.S. Open Cup, the first MLS team to win a CONCACAF Champions Cup and was the first team to win multiple (and consecutive) MLS Cups.

D.C., I bow in your presence.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish the trophy looked like the Premiership shields/trophy rather than a big V.

I guess we need to see if Houston wins tomorrow to know if Chivas fields a full team next weekend. I want Chivas to win the West, but I also would like to see a competitive game next weekend.

JT Soccer said...

... and I hope DC gets knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

Anonymous said...

And the first MLS team to win the Interamerican Cup (2:1 aggregate over Vasco da Gama).

Anonymous said...

"Well, I don't know if they actually physically received it - I would venture to say they didn't."

They already have the Shield since there's only one trophy.

They just get to keep it another year.

Hops said...

don't make fun of the shield - it may look like a star trek prop but it was created and paid for by fans...not the league. That is pretty cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Supporters'_Shield