Monday, October 15, 2007

Prodded to vote

I received a reminder that I've got to submit my votes for the MLS awards.

I'm still undecided as far as MVP goes. If Chicago gets in, I'm voting for Cuauhtemoc Blanco. If they collapse at the finish line, the natural second choice for me is Juan Pablo Angel.

I'm leaning towards Brad Guzan for GK of the year, though that might change if, for instance, Houston scores three goals and wins the west against Chivas next week.

For me, though, the most difficult category will be my Best XI. There are so many deserving players - Jesse Marsch was telling me last week that he thought Shavar Thomas should get consideration for defender of the year - that I see on a regular basis and those that I've watched mostly on television.

For those who have already submitted their thoughts in my earlier post, I appreciate your input. If you haven't, please feel free to let me know who you think I should vote for in any category.

5 comments:

Jon Geissler said...

I'm assuming the Best 11 can be any formation as long as there is at least 3 defenders, 3 mids, and 1 forward?

blahblah said...

Even if Chivas fall apart during the Houston match, you can't ignore that fact that for many of the past games, their opponents had considerably higher numbers of shots on goal than the goats did yet El Guzano blocked all or most of them. The numbers just amaze me. He deserves this award even if Chivas don't make it through the postseason.

Tacologic said...

I don't think anybody will take him seriously due to how few games he's played, but Wilman Conde is as good of a defender as there is in MLS right now.

JT Soccer said...

Adam is correct. Conde is different class, defending and surging forward. He delivers great passes and is so calm as he handles problems at the back.

If Chicago makes the playoffs, it'll be nice for him to get a bigger tv audience to see him in action.

Nathan Henderson-James said...

MVP - balancing between impact on the team and impact overall, in other words can you be the league's MVP without being your team's MVP?

I lean towards no on this question, so that eliminates Emilio who isn't as important to his team as Christian Gomez.

The next question is are you a big enough impact player to take an also-ran into the playoffs? Barring injury this might have been Barros Schoelloto (sp?), but brings the question down to two players: Angel and Blanco. If Chicago make the playoffs, I give it to Blanco, if not, then Angel.

Newcomer: Emilio. Having a career year.

Defender: I like Michael Parkhurst for this. You can't beat his positioning and I think he's committed only 6 fouls all year? As a centerback! Say what you will for the Dynamo of Chivas defenses, no one single player is getting it done like Parkhurst.

Rookie: Maurice Edu. There really isn't any competition here. No other rookie has had the same impact as he has had on their team, Dane Richards included. That he plays in a midfield that included for a hot minute Jim Brennan and Ronnie O'Brien only make his case stronger.

Goalkeeper: Guzan. You might could make a case for Onstad as well, but the Dynamo defense is better at stopping opportunities before they happen. So Guzan is tested more often and always shows his quality. 12 shutouts is a strong statement.

Best XI 4-4-2
Defenders: Parkhurst, Barret, Robinson, Heyduk

Mids: Marsch, Blanco, Gomez, Kljestan

Forwards: Emilio, Angel