Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Old World win

The U.S. beat Switzerland 1-0 in Basel on Wednesday and snapped a five-game losing streak that dates back to the Copa America opener.

The win is also significant because it's the United States' first victory in Europe since a 1-0 win over Poland a few months before the 2006 World Cup. Also, some young players had key roles in victory. Michael Bradley scored the lone goal late in the match. Danny Szetela sent the cross in on the match-winner. Brad Guzan played the entire second half and had a key save off a late free kick. Freddy Adu looked dangerous in his brief playing time. Maurice Edu did well in the center of the midfield.

Switzerland isn't a world power but the Swiss are a strong side who used the match as preparation for Euro 2008, which they will co-host. Beating the Swiss with a squad mixed with veterans and youngsters is important for coach Bob Bradley. With the win, Bradley is now 1-1 in Europe and now has half the number of victories his predecessor Bruce Arena did in eight years as coach of the U.S. national team.

What are your thoughts on the match? Who stood out? Who underperformed? What does this say about Bob Bradley and how significant do you think it is for him?

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I thought Cherundolo had a good game and Bocanegra was solid. I'm not sold on Gooch. I can't tell if he's just a marked man or if he really is just a hot head that begs for a card every game.

Introducing Szetela and Adu really seemed to spark things up a bit. I've never been a really big fan of Freddy, mostly because I think he needs to come down to earth, but he definitely did bring some intensity to the attack. All in all, I think the young players did well. I like Feilhaber and Bradley and I'm thinking Etu has a future. He was pretty composed for his first cap. I was a bit surprised he started and played the full 90, but that's perhaps a testiment to Bradley. I like that he is giving so many young players a chance and not just relying on the veterans. He's investing in the future.

just another one of you said...

I think Beasley's injury help mask a poor left side selection by Bradley. It made little sense to have Lewis out there. Pearce should have started, or at least Demerit. I think it was telling, and overdue, to switch Onyewu out for Canliff.

Adu needs to replace Twellman on the US forward rotation. Guys like Taylor and Ching should see as little time as possible in order to get the young guys some experience before the Olympics.

I'm not sure if the Bradley-Edu pairing makes sense unless you point out that the Bocanegra-Onyewu pairing needs all the defensive help it can get. It's a little weird to have some midfield depth.

In the end it is great to see the US dig this one out at the end.

Mister Zero said...

Gutsy match in poor conditions. Not sure you can take a lot from it though, except a nice goal and a tough performance by the defense. Dempsey - any US player raised his game more in the last year and a half?

Ben said...

I agree withe "my opinion over yours." Pearce needs to start. The left side was markedly weak without him. I healthy Cory Gibbs may bring some depth to the side.

I also think it's time that Canliff get the start. Both Bradleys had a good day.

Unknown said...

What a crap game to watch. It really was one of the uglier games I've seen this year...and I'm a Galaxy fan. As others have noted, our youngsters played really well and Adu was fantastic. Thank god we have an American player with creativity and brass balls. I'm also not sold on Califf, although anyone was better than Gooch. Overall, it was a good result but pretty sub-standard from a spectator's perspective.