Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Albright's return

I didn't have a chance to post this on Tuesday when the story ran in the paper but here's my weekly Press-Enterprise column. I wrote on Chris Albright this week. Had the chance to catch up to him and talk to him about life after the Galaxy. I had to sit on the interview though since I wanted it to run this week.

Of all the guys who passed through here in the last couple of years, I felt Albright embodied the Galaxy as much as anyone. The way he went out wasn't exactly something he expected and although he didn't really want to talk too much about the specifics, you could tell he's upset by it even now just by the few things he was willing to share.

5 comments:

A.C. said...

Man, I miss Chris. He was the first Galaxy player I ever interviewed, a great quote and such a genuine person. No one fought harder on the field.
I had a friend come to the Home Depot Center for their first time watching the Galaxy, and when I asked who their favorite player was, "That guy with the curly hair, man, he's going for it on every play."

The Hammer said...

"Man, I miss Chris."

Agree with you 100%. Hindsight is 20/20 but man, I wish we would've kept Albright instead of blowing our money on that has-been Ruiz.

It was a risky proposition with the way we needed goals, and Chris coming off an injury but we certainly could have used him.

Arelcao Akleos said...

Well, I for one am ecstatic the Galaxy threw away Chris. Just like they did Matt Reis. LA's "garbage" is pure New England gold. :)

Joseph D'Hippolito said...

Albright's trade is just another example of gross mismanagement under the AEG regime of Bozo the Mad Genius and Evil Timmuh Lie-weekly. What, Chris Klein is a better defender and overlapper than Albright? And they dumped Albright to keep Xavier? Why? Does Dis-abel have incriminating photos of Beckham, Posh, Landon, Bozo or Evil Timmuh? What, Albright couldn't get a bad bleach job like Dis-abel has?

Saying that Galaxy management is retarded is a gross insult to the retarded.

Joseph D'Hippolito said...

BTW, l.b., I've got a scoop for you. You've heard of the British kids' soccer magazine, "Shoot!" Well, the publisher wants to put out an American version -- only he wants to replace the "oo" with an "i" and dedicate the magazine to the Galaxy's defense....