Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ronnie ready to walk out

Cristiano Ronaldo sits down for an interview and gets testy.

How do you view all the fuss about you possibly leaving Manchester United?
The way I look at it is this - the greatest players are always associated with the greatest clubs. Not only me, but all players who are good, good clubs want them. I view it as a normal situation, but it's not only this year. It's been this way between clubs for a long time, so I view it as something normal.
Does it make you feel pursued?
It's not just this year - I've felt that before. It's normal. We'll see what happens.
What do you want to happen? Do you want to stay with Man U next season?
I want to be happy - independent of wherever I play.
Where could you be happy?
Where? Anywhere, in all places. That depends on me. If I'm with people I like, if I'm energetic, if I'm confident, motivated - wherever I am is good.
Is there motivation to stay with Man U?
I'm always motivated, wherever I am. I'm motivated because I'm an ambitious player and I want to get better. About the future, I don't know, but I'm always going to be motivated.
Are you anxious about your future?
No. Normal.
What's normal for you these days?
For me, normal is vacation, rest for my body and mind, a good recuperation. The future belongs to God, not me.
Do you read the press?
Sometimes, when I get the chance.

You're not looking to see what people say about you?

No. I know some people say good things, some say bad. I'm with my friends, so then I'm always fine.
Does that help when you think of returning to Manchester and regaining the support of those who think you're turned traitor?
Why are there forty questions about Manchester and Real Madrid? What do you want me to say? I don't know the future. God only knows. I can't tell you any more.
Thanks a lot.

4 comments:

CACuzcatlan said...

I don't know what I expected, but I know I didn't think his voice would sound like that. I was surprised he spoke Spanish. I wonder if it is taught in Portuguese schools.

A.C. said...

It's been my experience that a lot of people who speak Portuguese also speak Spanish. It doesn't happen quite as often the other way. I think perhaps because Spain is bigger and a lot of people like to vacation there - they pick up the lingo.
I speak a little Portuguese. Not a lot, though.

Anonymous said...

Portuguese speakers tend to pick up Spanish easily. Spanish speakers though usually have a more difficult time understanding Portuguese which is probably why you don't run into a lot of Spanish speakers who speak Portuguese as you do Portuguese speakers who speak Spanish.

Anonymous said...

@cacuzcatlan: The more you meet people from the smaller European countries, the more you realize they often speak more than 1 language simply because other countries have things their's don't.
Most Dutch people, especially in eastern Holland speak German because the major metropolitan areas of Germany are closer than Adam and Rdam are to them. So if they need things that only bigger cities have they have to go to Germany or drive far out of their way. That's to say nothing of the Germans who often vacation in that area whom the small inns cater to; if you meet any Dutch people ask them about Germans and matching track suits they all have a funny story about that. :) (plus it's not tough to pick up German if you speak Dutch since Nederlands is practically just a sub-dialect)

Oh and that interviewer has the interrogation skills of a strip mall lawyer. ESPN should be embarrassed to employ him. (no I'm not a ManU or Madrid fan sticking up Ronaldo)