Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Priorities, people

Reporters chit-chat on the sidelines. Reporters and press officers, too. Today as the Galaxy wrapped up practice, LA's media liason, Justin Pearson, and I went a toe-to-toe a little on the Open Cup.

My viewpoint was that the league was being incredibly high-handed by decreeing a play-in that would potentially eliminate last year's finalist before the tournament even started. I especially had an issue with all this being decided during the offseason. How could the competition comittee justify using qualification criteria without any advance notice?

It's like I invite a bunch of people over for dinner and then once they all get there, I inform them that the amount of food they will be served depends on their order of arrival.

Justin pointed out that the league had to do something to decrease the fixture congestion with SuperLiga games and MLS matches.

I was still skeptical.

"So to benefit a tournament that's just starting out, you shaft one that's 93 years old? Where's the respect?"

No comments: