Monday, May 21, 2007

Boss Bradley

I'm in the process of writing my Tuesday column for The Press-Enterprise. I'm taking a look at Bob Bradley and his upcoming tenure with as USMNT boss. I actually saw Bob yesterday at HDC. I first saw him in he locker room briefly and then I saw him up in the Stadium Club but I didn't get the chance to say hello.

Anyway, I'm also compiling a Top 10 list, the Top 10 Bradley Coaching Victories or something. Off the top of my head, I'm including (in no particular order):

* Chicago's 1-0 win over the Galaxy in the 1998 playoffs
* MLS Cup 98: Fire 2, DC 0
* US 2, Mexico 0, Feb. 7, 2007
* Chicago 3, Metros 2, 2000 MLS Cup playoffs
* The U.S. Open Cup final victories

I'll have to research the Fire's 1998-2002 seasons to round out the Top 10 and put them in order and all that. I'm debating putting the US-Ecuador result there as well. I'll gladly take any input from our beloved readers.

Honestly, I feel like putting the 1-0 win over LA at the Rose Bowl as number one because that Galaxy team was the best MLS team I've ever seen but the MLS Cup win was obviously more significant and that has to count as well.

I don't know if any of the Chivas USA wins will make it; maybe the playoff win but that might be stretching it.

UPDATE: Wow. Top 10 lists seem like they wouldn't take that much time but I really had to put a lot of thought and effort into this particular one. I didn't include a single game from the MetroStars era. The Chivas USA playoff game made it after all as did the Ecuador win.

You would think with some 130 coaching wins picking 10 would be easy. Unfortunately, not a whole lot were in big games.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Chivas's 3-0 win last year to start the season - that really set the tone. Or Chivas' lone win against Galaxy. Not on the list, however, will be the trade of a DP slot for Guevara, of course.

No. 1, IMO, is the U.S. win against Mexico in Feb. It's not as sexy as the Fire win against LA, but it was the one that him his current job.

Look forward to reading your column tomorrow.

pb said...

1993 - Princeton beat Hartwick 3-0 to reach the Final Four

In view of Princeton's otherwise low-quality program, that was quite an accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

Can someone ask him what he was thinking when he traded the DP slot for Guevara? Thanks

scaryice said...

You need the OT win (7/5/2003, DC 2:3 NY) where he put in Eddie Gaven who scored the winning goal (which led to MLS changing the rule).