Thursday, May 24, 2007

Back in the show?

My SI.com editor Jonah Freedman reported today that the San Jose Earthquakes might return to Major League Soccer as early as 2008. It seems that Oakland A's owner Lew Wolff is anxious to get the team up and running, which is a good thing.

I don't want to get my hopes up because MLS has been close to several venues in the past (Cleveland, Rowan, etc.) and nothing has come of it but this seems legit. The passion for soccer in Northern California exists. I've had a taste of it first-hand.

In 2005, I decided to take a trip to the Galaxy-San Jose game in late June, the first game that Landon Donovan played in San Jose as a member of the Galaxy. It was cool. My wife and I made a weekend out of it and stayed in Cambria the night before as we drove up the coast. Now, driving up the coast of California seems cool but it's actually a very winding drive through some pretty narrow roads. Had I known better, I would have turned back around from Cambria to take the 101 back up instead of taking State Route 1 but you live and learn, I guess. I must admit the scenery was nice, though.

Anyway, I was severely underwhelmed by Spartan Stadium. It was a dump. The field was way too narrow, even more so in person. The facility was outdated and didn't seem Major League in any way. The "locker rooms" were portables back behind the stadium and were a long walk from the field. Then, you pretty much had to do interviews in plain view of fans and security and everything else so that made it feel more like a college or high school event than anything.

The game was a letdown on the field and pretty much lacked drama. San Jose won 3-0; two of the goals were own goals. The atmosphere was great, however. Before the game, fans burned effigies of Landon and some kid walked away with Landon's head, well, off some sort of Landon piƱata or something. I had been talking to some 'Quake fans over the phone the week leading up to the game but I forget the supporters group name. I got some contact info from Soccer Silicon Valley; I remember that much. They were nice and very well informed. Each and every fan I talked to knew pretty much all there was to know about the history of the Clash/Quakes.

I hope San Jose returns to MLS. We'd welcome back some much-maligned but well-deserving fans and it would be an excuse to make a few road trips for Galaxy and Chivas USA road games, except I'd take the 101 up north next time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Luis, I've been to Cambria a good number of times and I really love it up there. Its just beautiful.

Do you happen to remember where you stayed there? I'm very familiar with the area and I find it really cool that you've been able to enjoy, albeit just a short time.

L.B. said...

I remember exactly where we stayed at. It was the Blue Dolphin Inn and our room faced the ocean. It was stunning waking up to the sound of the waves hitting the beach.

We had dinner at... okay, that one I don't recall. The service wasn't that great and the food was okay. We walked there since it was so close. In the morning we had breakfast at Linn's - I believe that was the name. It was pretty good and had a lot of nice paintings for sale, nice and expensive. I enjoyed it and definitely want to go back there.

Anonymous said...

OK cool. Yeah whenever we go we stay on Moonstone Beach as well. Usually at the White Water Inn, which is a little farther up north from the Blue Dolphin.

If you were able to walk there, you probably ate at either the Moonstone Bar and Grill or the Sea Chest. Never really been a fan of either place to be honest, as the best food as "downtown." Right around where Lynn's is.

Hope you get the chance to go back, its a great area. There are a lot of things to see, but you can also have a really relaxing time as well.

If you do go back though, remember to try and eat at the Sow's Ear (for the food) or Hamlet (for the view). Robin's is a nice place for lunch with a really special menu with lots of variety.

L.B. said...

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on going back someday, soon hopefully.

It must have been the Moonstone Bar and Grill we ate at. That name rings a bell. I had a steak of some sort and it was okay. The best part of the dinner was the cold beer I had; otherwise, it was just kinda bland.

I wish Cambria was closer (quite a drive from Riverside) because that seems like a nice place to just go, relax, listen to the ocean and just forget about everything.

Anonymous said...

No problem. Keep up the good work with the blog! Really enjoy reading it.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is good news. Between 00 and 05, I went to a few Quakes games. The stadium was a dump and the level of play was uneven.

But you just can't beat watching a live match in a good atmosphere. So, it will be good to have them back. Plus, with a few DP signings and overall improvement in the level of play, they may have an entertaining team.

A.C. said...

I'd only take the 101 if I was going to Santa Cruz or Monterrey Bay.

To get to San Jose, it's easiest just to straight shot it up the I-5. I have all the In-N-Out stops on the way memorized. With a bunch of good tunes blaring, it's not a bad drive.