Monday, May 28, 2007

Frank talk

Before the season I had picked the Galaxy to finish in second place in the Western Conference. I know there is a lot of games left to be played but that is looking like terrible pick right now. Seven goals and one win from six games is not the start the Galaxy had hoped for.

I had faith in Frank Yallop. I questioned the Joe Cannon trade but figured that Frank Yallop knew what he was doing. I felt that the Galaxy's issues had little to do with Herculez Gomez, Ugo Ihemelu and/or Kevin Hartman, but if Yallop saw fit to send that trio out of town, I guess he knew something we all didn't.

Still, it's hard to see the success those three players have had and not question Frank Yallop and Alexi Lalas. Colorado has 15 points and is in second place in the Western Conference. Kansas City has 16 points and is in second place in the Eastern Conference. The Galaxy have one more point than Real Salt Lake.

Ihemelu and Gomez give Colorado athletic ability and eagerness to learn and succeed. Hartman gives the Wizards value that goes beyond his on-the-field success; his years of experience and leadership are an asset to Kansas City.

Although I think the moves have thus far not gone in the Galaxy's favor, there is still a lot left to the season and perhaps Joe Cannon will be the reason why the Galaxy succeeds this year. Still, those moves are killing the Galaxy right now. It's not so much Joe Cannon's fault the Galaxy is in it this year but he has hardly been a difference-maker save for the first Chivas game. And when I hear how the club desperately wants for Alan Gordon and Gavin Glinton to get healthy, I think of the seemingly always healthy Herc and I cringe.

And for those who think it's too early to start talking about firing Frank Yallop (not that I'm a part of the Fire Yallop campaign, if one exists) I will say this: for a team that fired a coach in first place and two years later fired a coach that led the Galaxy to a double, it's never early to talk about firing coaches around here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yallop's biggest mistake appears to be letting Herculez go. Didn't he have any idea what he had there?