Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The boy wonder


Ok, he's not that young any more, but Lee Nguyen is nearly the youngest player in the USMNT camp right now.

The soccer prodigy from Texas was used to that situation.

"Growing up, in high school and national teams, I’ve always been with older players. All my friends – I pretty much grew up with older players. I’m friends with everyone here. Even back home, I’ll hang out with players older than me. It’s different (hanging out with his peers). Even at PSV, all the players are older, too. It’s just something I’m used to."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A.C. or L.B., can you give us any insight as to how he looks in training? He is the most interesting camper for this friendly. Alot has been said about his potential, but not many people have seen him.

pb said...

Isn't Michael Bradley the youngest player in camp???

A.C. said...

Oh, right, Michael is younger. He just doesn't seem that way. Lee is pretty serious in training, but I've seen him joke with a couple of players after an exercise. I swear, Michael is so serious, I'm not sure I've even seen him smile.

Daddy's boy, for sure.

Lee looked good today. He's got some nice, unexpected moves and he's tougher than one might expect. His balance is especially good. Despite his small size he's hard to knock off the ball and he keeps it on his toe really well.