Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Eating with the enemy

After Jason Kreis won his first point as a coach for Real Salt Lake, one might think he'd celebrate with his teammates.

Actually, he met up with an old friend for dinner - the guy who nearly put Jason in the loss column for the start of his coaching career by scoring twice to put New York to a 3-1 lead.

"I got to have dinner with [Jason] after the game," said Clint Mathis. "I wasn’t able to hang out with him before because of the hectic week he had. I wanted him to get some rest. We got to hang out. We didn’t talk a whole lot of soccer, because we’ve been so close as friends and our wives are great friends. He was in my wedding and I hadn’t seen him since the wedding, which was New Year’s. It was good to catch up. I did ask a couple of soccer questions here and there, just to see how excited he was to get the job. He’s looking forward to what he’s doing. I was happy for him. I know he’s wanted to coach. He’s had such a phenomenal individual career as a player, so I hope that continues in his favor and he can take that knowledge as a player into the coaching realm."

No comments: