Friday, August 15, 2008

Crazy night

It was a crazy night at Home Depot Center. Between an early goal, a rally, en elbow and subsequent broken jaw and a stoppage-time equalizer, the game had a little of everything.

Of course, the on-the-field action wasn't the only thing that made the night a crazy one.


First, celebrity chef Ingrid Hoffmann was there. I'm actually a fan of her
Simply Delicioso show and I got the chance to take a picture with her and everything. Kind of a random person to have at a game but I wasn't complaining!

Then, the game started. But of course the internet was not working. I wasn't online at all during the game. Not that I surf the 'net or anything during games but it did throw me off a little.

We got word that Tim Leiweke was going to be in the press box briefly. I dont remember how quickly everything happened but it seemed like Landon's goal, Leiweke on ESPN2 and then Leiweke before us all took two minutes, but it was probably more like 10-15 or more.

Of course, we had no choice but to stop watching the game to go back inside and talk to Leiweke. I was certain that a goal or two would be scored but it wasn't.

Halftime gave me a bit of a chance to catch up with my stories (no internet yet) but then we got word that Sacha Kljestan was going to be in the press box briefly. As a colleague said to me, we got a week's worth of stories in the first part of the game.

So we missed the first few minutes of the second half to talk to Sacha, who wore a white t-shirt with the word "Beijing" in front and "2008" in the back. As we were walking back towards our seats, Paulo Nagamura whipped a cross in, Roberto Nurse dummied it and Atiba Harris finished it. I think those were the first moments of the second half I saw.

The internet wasn't working but I had t write, which I was. But from about the 68th minute to the 80-something, there was a tech type person working on it. I couldn't write obviously so I hoped nothing major would happen. And it did, as Jesse Marsch had his jaw broken by Sean Franklin. I was in full writing mode by then though as I was several minutes behind.

Knowing the history of the Super Clasico, I didn't write a lede but rather evertyhing from then on. Sure enough, Alan Gordon scored a late header but it didn't ruin me though since I only had to slightly rework things. I got a connection after all though I had to move my laptop to use it but I was able to make deadline.

A memorable game indeed. But really, we've all come to expect as much from this rivalry.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. On my way down to the presser, a fan who I know is a reader of the blog was in a heated argument with security so I tried to stop him from getting arrested. With the help of his wife, I gently tried to usher him into an elevator and away from a possible arrest. He got into an elevator but some security followed him along. The last thing I heard him say was "F- all of you bitches" as the elevator door closed. I hope he didn't get arrested and I don't even know what happened. If you're reading this, e-mail me at lbueno99@hotmail.com ... if you're not in jail that is.



11 comments:

CACuzcatlan said...

spellchecker turned off today?

Anonymous said...

I don't care how you spelled it, I loved that story. Gonzo journalism at the HDC ;-) .

Anonymous said...

Yeah me too, thanks for the behind the scenes action!

Joseph D'Hippolito said...

You know, l.b., I really loved the way the Chivas USA fans paid tribute to Lalas every time Steve Cronin executed a goal kick. I thought it was very touching and sportsmanlike. It will go down as one of the highlights of The Biggest Soccer Rivalry In The Universe!

Or were they paying tribute to Leiweke? I'm not sure...

Tell me again what "puto" means....

/sarcasm off/

Evan said...

Oh dear, naughty word said at a sporting event.

L.B. said...

That's HDC security for you.

Qui S'y Frotte S'y Pique said...

You should post the pic of Ingrid and you, she's a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Relax galaxy scum, i am sure Galaxy fans use Puto at the games as well.

Matt said...

she's a cutie!

She's no Giada de Laurentiis, but she's a'ight.

L.B. said...

Yes, the beautiful Giada. I prefer Ingrid for two reasons, though. I think Ingrid is more attractive and I think Ingrid's recipes are less complicated to make. Just my opinion...

Anonymous said...

Hey Luis,

I just spoke to Michoacano (who left for Arizona after the game) and he wanted to say thanks for trying to step in. He was livid at the actions of the red coats. I can say without hesistation, that the were very "Gestapo-like" towrds many Chivas fans.

The incident with Michoacano was a spillover of that. Funny-a$$ stuff, though.

He said he'll contact you when he gets back....from Arizona(not la pinta).