Thursday, May 10, 2007

Quick draw

Some people just really have to get over it. I know my SI columns have stirred some emotions among readers in the past but still...

Not 30 minutes after Necaxa lost to Nacional of Uruguay in Copa Libertadores, I received an e-mail from some guy in Colombia.

He said something like: "Two down, one to go."

Yes, Toluca lost to Cucaracha Deportivo or some crap a couple of days ago and were bounced from the Copa and yes, America is now carrying the Mexican flag alone in Libertadores. I recently wrote about how Mexican clubs have done well in Libertadores and it apparently irritated some Colombian guy.

I'm actually in the middle of writing my SI column for tomorrow and it's not a powder keg like that others have been but this reader in Medellin makes me want to go back and insert a little shot at Colombian soccer just for his sake.

Nah. That would distract from my topic. But I will say this about Colombian clubs in this year's Copa Libertadores: when Cucaracha Deportivo is Colombia's sole representative, it doesn't exactly speak well for that league.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always found it interesting that Mexico gets nailed a lot for it's lack of respect for US soccer, but South Americans are rarely criticized for their lack of respect for Mexican soccer.

Anonymous said...

Did this guy send you something saying that all Colombians feel this way or you just generalizing? Cause that would seem pretty ignorant.

L.B. said...

I think it was just his own thoughts but I've gotten a lot of these types of remarks from South America, many from Colombia. I do think that there are still many South Americans who don't respect Mexican soccer for whatever reason. The national team I think is respected but the clubs I don't feel are quite at the same level of respect.

Anonymous said...

i realize this isn't politically correct to say but . . . i think this has much to do with how south american's generally feel about mexico. not saying it is right, i am just calling it like i see it.

further more, IMO it also has some to do with the idea of a group of nations (CONMEBOL) that are used to dominating CONCACAF, but now the little brother is stepping toe to toe with the big brother, so they are feeling a little insecure (sounds alot like the US/Mex soccer rivalry of late).

final point, one also has to expect to get jumped on after seeing how mexico was beating its chest over the past 12 month regarding their success in sudaamericana and copa libertadores . . . it is just part of sports.
DMH

Anonymous said...

The first time I read your post I skipped over the name of the Colomibian team and realized you put cucaracha deportivo. NOw I realize you are ignorant. Nobody cares about Mexican soccer other than Mexicans, that is why they have to go out of their way to talk so much crap about how great their teams are. USA beats the crap out of them on a regular basis and only a weak group let them move on in the World Cup and rearly do Mexican go abroad and become regulars i.e. Sanchez and Marquez. So try to more objective and you might be a better writer.

Anonymous said...

l.b. you shouldn't waste your time empowering these ***holes, they thrive on the fact that they can rile you up, they stalk the blog everyday just to see if you have commented back on their comments. Don't waste your energy on them. Just ignore their ignorant a**es. Be the better person, you're already the better writer.

L.B. said...

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.