Friday, May 4, 2007

Multi-lingual

Now that Chivas USA has acquired Paulo Nagamura, the languages spoken among the club increases by one.

You've got English, Spanish, French, Romanian, Portuguese among the players and English, Spanish, Serbian and Arabic spoken among the coaching staff and English, Spanish, French and Korean spoken by their communications department.

Plus, on their roster, you've got players born in the U.S., Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, Colombia, Brazil, England, France and Romania.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nagamura doesn't speak Japanese, does he? There is a quite large Japanese-Brazilian population, of which his last name suggests he is a member.

L.B. said...

That's a good question. I'm sure he has some Japanese in his background.

David, I'm going to be hitting this topic here in the coming months or so, so keep an eye out on it. Culture is obviously something you're interested in so I thought I'd let you know about that.

Anonymous said...

Luis - Excellent. I look forward to hearing your further thoughts on culture.

I tried to arrange an interview with Nagamura when he was at TFC but had no luck. Maybe I'll try the Chivas folks to see what they say. If you have any thoughts on doing that, I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Do Mexicans speak Mexican? I think Nagamura speaks Portugese, not Brazilian. :)

L.B. said...

Oops.

Thanks. I was thinking ahead about their places of birth.

See why us writers need copy editors? F***-ups would be commonplace without them.

Anonymous said...

No...I wrote Nagamura speaks Portuguese not "Portugese." You edited me incorrectly! Nice try, dee-dee-dee! ;) <--I inserted the smile icon myself this time. ;)