Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Where's the goal?

After reviewing the goals in MLS for the Week 10 Spotlight, I pretty much came to a simple conclusion that Jorge Flores' goal against Columbus was the best of the week. His left-footed volley was something else, and in case you didn't see it here it is.



It's a pretty good goal, but I thought maybe I was influenced because I saw it live. But then again, I didn't see Kyle McCarthy at the game and here's what he had to say about it.


Should the league even bother with a Goal of the Week vote this week or should they just send the award to Jorge Flores? The volley into the far side netting deserves all the plaudits it will receive this week.


So I suppose I wasn't the only one who thought Flores' goal was something else.


The goals that were nominated are here. While I think there were some nice goals scored there, particularly Kenny Cooper's, which I linked to last week, none were as good as Flores'. Conor Casey's goal was superior than Flores'? Really?


In the grand scheme of things, of course, this doesn't have a great significance. But if the league is going to take time to highlight its best goals on a weekly basis, then they should at least treat it with respect and get it right.

10 comments:

Frank Macomber said...

Bah, I think Cooper's and Findley's goals were better. Probably have an argument against Casey's.

Anonymous said...

I voted for Cooper's, but there's no doubt in my mind that Jorge's was the best of the week. I was shocked that it wasn't one of the five...

A.C. said...

Hey, my pic for Goal of the Week (McManus) didn't make it either. I say it's a conspiracy against Sideline Views.

Unknown said...

Anyone think Flores deserves a shot at the Olympic team?

A.C. said...

On second thought, I wonder if the league didn't want to put Flores' goal up as GOTW because of the Atiba Harris push on O'Rourke and Will Hesmer apparently giving up, expecting that call. Flores might have scored anyway, but if MLS feels the ref missed that call, then they might not want to highlight that mistake. Lame.

L.B. said...

Damn. You made the same argument I made except I forgot to put that in the blog. I wrote an e-mail to someone about it and mentioned that but forgot to mention it to our readers. I think that's exactly why it wasn't nominated, because it would draw attention to the missed call. We all thought that Harris was going to get whistled for it but who knows.

And McManus' goal was way better than Casey's.

Daniel said...

i was SHOCKED it wasnt available for vote but i see your point. but then again i dont think peoples opinions of mls refs could get much worse.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Dominic Oduro's goal up for goal of the week last week? In that clip, Oduro takes off his jersey (with no undershirt) and isn't carded for it -- definitely a referree error, yet MLS put it up for goal of the week...

Anonymous said...

I think I looked at the choices for GOTW for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out where they hid the link to Flores' goal.

It's diabolical that is wasn't nominated. It was almost as good as Gallardo's earlier this year.

I do think Cooper and Findley's might be better, but Flores is definitely top 5 material this week.

Re: Casey's goal: it was a very good goal. The end shot wasn't much but the buildup to it was great. It's the old Maradona argument. THE GOAL against England is ultimately a little tap around a the keeper if the build up doesn't 'count' as part of the goal. (not saying Casey's goal is in the same galaxy as THE GOAL of course)

A.C. said...

eugene, though, the Oduro non-carding wasn't a referee mistake that perhaps allowed the goal to happen, which is slightly more serious.