Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Goose in the press box

Saturday night's match at Home Depot Center brought about several former US World Cup veterans. Before the match, I went to grab my seat and sitting a few spots down from me was Jeff Agoos. Had Andrea been at the game, she would have sat right next to the former DC United/MetroStars/Quakes/USMNT defender. At halftime, I went downstairs and ran into Marcelo Balboa. On my way back up to the press box, I shook Carlos Llamosa's hands and said hi to the ex-Chivas USA defender. Then, of course, Preki talked to us after the match.

But as it stood, I spent the most time around Agoos. I'm not sure why Agoos sat in the press box. He was in his suit, took notes in his notebook and was constantly texting or e-mailing from his BlackBerry. He sat there for the duration of the first half but I was surprised that he stayed in the press box for the second half.

Agoos wasn't really animated. For the most part, he watched the match quietly, scribbled notes and punched keys on his phone. But there were a few times he showed some emotion. He slammed his fist after Seth Stammler picked up a yellow card in the second half. Several times, Oscar Echeverry had bad touches and Agoos picked up on them. Towards the end of the match, Echeverry put himself in good position to create some danger inside the penatly area. Had he been able to control a pass, he could have had an open look from about 16 yards out. Instead, the ball leapt off his foot. Agoos tossed his pen in front of him, snapped his head to his right (towards me) and grimaced.

However, Agoos did not react much to the horrid giveaway and subsequent goal at the end of the first half. After Kevin Goldthwaite essentially set up Ante Razov for Chivas' only goal deep in first-half stoppage time, Agoos didn't overreact or anything.

A colleague had some suggestions on what to say to Agoos after the terrible defensive effort.

"Reminds me of your f-ups."

"Happens to the best of us, huh Jeff?"

Needless to say, I didn't take him up on the suggestions.

No comments: