Thursday, July 5, 2007

More starry thoughts

With the help of Sideline Views readers, I pieced together my All-Star ballot. Unfortunately, it didn't have too much of an impact as the only players I voted for that made it were Jonathan Bornstein, Michael Parkhurst, Juan Toja, Juan Pablo Angel and Eddie Johnson.

I thought my midfield was pretty deserving, with Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Steve Ralston and Carlos Marinelli having combined for 16 assists this season (most of those before the ballots were due).

I think the defense is pretty solid. I chose Eddie Robinson back there because he's been the best player on the best backline in the league, but Jimmy Conrad is solid as well. Yes, I know Bornstein has no goals and no assists, but neither to Conrad or Parkhurst. Bornstein's having a good season defensively despite his lack of scoring. This year, though, he's played almost every minute at left back. Last season, he scored most of his goals from the midfield spot. He didn't score a goal until July and bagged four that month, and that was the first month the team started missing players because injury and suspension where it necessitated the move to Bornstein up high.

I don't understand Dwayne De Rosario's inclusion. He has three goals and no assists. Houston picked up four consecutive wins with DeRo at the Gold Cup. His performance this season does not justify being selected ahead of Barros Schelotto, Marinelli or Ralston, but in particular Barros Schelotto. Still, I suppose when you are a player of DeRo's caliber, you can get by with three goals, no assists and a losing record and still get in the All-Star game.

Can't really argue with the other starters, though Ricardo Clark's stats (1 G, 2 A) are a bit underwhelming. Matt Reis over Brad Guzan... again, not a lot of room for argument. Pat Onstad is having a fine season as well so any of those three were deserving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say the same thing about DeRo. I was surprised by his inclusion. His play so far this year absolutely does not merit being named in the first 11.

Anonymous said...

Let's just hope Nicol does not pull a Nowak and select an all NE second team, although Ralston and Twellman are desrving probably. he better have Schelotto and Marinelli on there

Anonymous said...

DeRo is definitely one of the league's best players even if the stats don't show it. I'm sure every coach and just about every player in the league would say the same thing.

You can't include someone like Ralston and leave off DeRosario. DeRo would absoltely run circles around Ralston head to head.

Anonymous said...

Although, I'm shocked Donovan isn't in the first 11.

I'd prefer them to play 4 in the back and 4 at midfield. A three man back line with Bornstein and Parkhurst in it is asking for trouble, and it's overkill at midfield. Things might look rather disorganized in this set up.