Saturday, July 21, 2007

The other arrival

In case you missed it (and you may very well have), Cuauhtemoc Blanco reported to his new team on Friday.

The Beckham hype is unique because Beckham is a unique player/personality but Blanco is potentially more important to his team than Beckham. Blanco's playing at a high level; just a week ago he scored a goal in Copa America and now he's coming here.

I hit on the arrival in my SI.com column this week.

Blanco's departure from Mexico City was a big story on Friday. Here's some of what he said at the airport (translated from an Ovaciones story).

* His feelings about leaving Mexico City: I'm happy to start this new adventure with another team. What does make me sad is leaving behind my mother and my children, who are my greatest supporters.

* On debuting against Celtic on Sunday: Like I've always said, you have to approach friendlies seriously. I hope we win on Sunday and which would help my team. I know things aren't going well and that's why I want to give it the best I can and support it in everything.

* On his physical condition: I feel I still have plenty to offer. It's going to be a great experience in Chicago and I want to meet everyone's expectations. I'm happy and am going to bring happiness to the people.

* On whether he is done with the Mexican national team: When I say goodbye to El Tricolor, I will do so publicly. I believe the national team is now behind and for now I need to concentrate on the Chicago Fire.

No comments: