Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fans and players

Mexican soccer fans typically don't hold MLS in high regard, but that sentiment is not shared by many Mexican soccer players.

At least that's what LA Daily News writer Ivan Orozco found out when he talked to several of them regarding their thoughts on MLS.

Pachuca's Rafael Marquez Lugo and Chivas' Ramon Morales each said they'd play in MLS - the latter's only caveat would be to remain a Chiva. Kikin Fonseca also said he'd play here so long as "there's certain conditions met that you look for as a player."

By playing against MLS clubs now and having played them in the past, Mexican players typically hold MLS in much higher regard than their fans do. By having the chance to play in the United States and in MLS stadiums, the players too are exposed to the facilities MLS teams have in place and that might also factor into a player's decision to come here. I'm not saying Mexico's facilities are sub-par because they're not but South American players in the past have said that the facilities here are top notch.

While results in favor of MLS likely won't change Mexican fans' views of MLS, at least their players respect the league and its clubs.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this article can casue Andrea to be a little more sympathetic in her selective reporting when it comes Mexican soccer players.

A.C. said...

Kikin would be the best player to see in MLS. Besides his obvious skill, he's one of the nicest, most media friendly players I've ever met.

Anonymous said...

Great start Andrea!! That wasn't that hard, was it? :-)

A.C. said...

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention. I've been a big Kikin fan for a long time now and have expressed that more than once.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're right. I try to not pay too much attention to your reporting. It is not to my liking. I mean no offense, it's just that your reporting is not my cup of tea. I'm sure you have legions of fans and that's great, I just happen to not be one of them. However, I do recognize you have talent and a knowledge base of the sport in the U.S.

Honestly, I love this blog becaue of l.b.'s analysis and insight. I believe he is the finest soccer journalist in America. I love following his work.

A.C. said...

You have excellent taste, then.

Anonymous said...

Kikin to CUSA nao plz.

Anonymous said...

AC, what's ur take on kikin's thriller dance? I approve of it.

L.B. said...

Wow. Thank you so much for those kind words :)

I just hope to continue delivering news and insight to you guys.

A.C. said...

I'm pretty much down with all dancing, in general. The robot, the thriller, the "lean wit it", basically, anytime a player cuts loose to bust a move, I'm all for it. The world needs more dancing, not less.

Anonymous said...

Andrea i work with a guy who is part of the Riot Squad. He tells me he loves your writing and that a bunch of guys from that group also do.

Great Blog you guys have by the way.