Saturday, July 28, 2007

Oh, Mexico

Billy Witz has a nice piece on Landon Donovan and Mexico.

Recently, Landon spoke of the animosity and controversy that has sprung up in the past with the Mexican media, players and fans. He didn't get too specific, but he acknowledged that he probably could have handled things better than he did before.

"I think part of that was me, because I was also not the best. I was always angry and didn’t like the Mexican players, but now, I have a lot of respect for them. Especially this team [Pachuca]– it’s a very good team. I can shake their hands and say, 'You’re a good team. Good luck in the future.'"

Landon was then asked if he thought Mexican players would ever respect U.S. teams.

"I hope so," he responded.

Then someone asked if Landon would ever be friends with Oswaldo Sanchez, the long-time Mexican goalkeeper.

"No, no chance," Landon replied. "That’s a different animal. It’s something every game. It’s up to him if he wants to change. Every time we play, he does something bad or unsportsmanlike. I’m not going to get angry with him. If he wants to shake hands, fine, but I’m not expecting it."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Landon takes so much criticism from folks - yet he is one player who is honest and will admit when he's messed up. That's a rare attribute to find among people, let alone a professional athlete.

Paul Poenicke said...

Hey A.C.:

I believe you've stated in the past that Oswaldo Sanchez is a nice guy, especially off the field. Yet we see, and hear, some awful stuff from the Keeper when he faces the US. Any reason as to why this is?