Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bow to the blog

When Luis called me to tell me that Steve Morrow had been sacked as coach, the first thing I did was check the FC Dallas website. Nothing there about the decision.

"No," Luis said. "It's on their blog."

It was. In a strange way, it made sense. If FC Dallas wanted to get out a quick confirmation that they let Morrow go, the blog was probably the easiest way to do it.

Though I've long thought that FC Dallas has the best MLS team blog, this has to be considered new and unchartered territory. Usually the blogs are cute PR features, with fun pics and videos. Now, though, giving the the blog the breaking news of an important move on the team's part has sort of upped the ante.

It's going to be hard to top this news for a while, but who knows? Perhaps the Seattle Sounders will confirm the successful acquisition of Thierry Henry on their team blog.

2 comments:

Mister Zero said...

It does make me laugh a bit to see the FCD blog shut down because of the heinous comments coming in. We have a GM struggling to hold on, it's ugly out there.

Anonymous said...

I agree. After thinking about it for a few hours I really do feel for the guy - and I was in the stands Sunday asking for his head at the time.

Look - the team is quite young. The good start masked some real issues at forward and defense. No one should have expected this group to gel before July-August, especially people who sit so close to the field from 9-5. That being said, a 5-1 loss at home is really bad and I can't imagine Hitch is keeping his post unless he delivers at least a Superliga spot next year, or finds a way to lure Ronaldinho to Dallas (/sarcasm).

I wish Morrow best of luck in the future. At the end of the day this is a guy who I'm sure did the best he could.