Monday, September 10, 2007

Stinky, stinky

“Ewwwwww,” I told Kyle Martino, indicating his injured hand. The stitches and swelling are at the point in the healing process where it’s getting better, but it looks really horrible. Sweating under the soft cast Kyle wears to protect it during games probably doesn’t help, either.

But I was referring to how gross it all looked. Kyle described an element I didn’t even want to think about.

"I fell on it tonight and hurt it pretty bad, but I think it’s going to be alright as long as I keep it casted up. I’ve got to go put the cast back on now.”

“Why did you take it off?”

“I wanted to shower and clean it. It’s starting to smell pretty bad. I’ll fall asleep and next thing I know I’ll wake up and think, ‘What is that?’ And it’s my hand.”

“Uhgh.”

“Exactly.”

Billy Witz: (No, Billy doesn’t follow me around, we just happened to interview the same people that night) “What exactly happened to you?”

“I tore a tendon off the bone.”


“Does it hurt – do you feel the pain when you play?”

“Not exactly. It’s mostly just awkward, having something on your wrist that you’re not used to.”

6 comments:

just another one of you said...

Love the insight provided by your sight. I really do. But this is now twice in one day that a photo would have spoke volumes. The first one was when Cannon was referring to the riot squad.

I understand the intrusive nature of toting a camera, but maybe having one for those 'just in case' moments wouldn't hurt. The again you did say something about needing credentials for that.

A.C. said...

With all due respect to the curiosity of fans, I wouldn't want to look at a picture of Kyle's injury in the morning when I'm trying to get my soccer fix. Yuck. We'll take pictures at practice and what not, but don't hold your breath on locker room photos.

L.B. said...

Actually, a little-known fact...

Per MLS rules, reporters - or anybody - can't take photographs in locker rooms. It's just not allowed. They don't even allow still photographers in the locker rooms.

L.B. said...

Uh, I was responding to my opinion over yours, not A.C., but A.C. was quick on the draw and beat me to the punch so it looks like I'm responding to her but i'm not. just had to go fill up my coffee cup in the middle of my earlier response. Coffee, yum...

A.C. said...

Some crews are allowed to shoot video, though.

I need coffee.

L.B. said...

I had too much coffee. I'm jittery now. Maybe that's why I've been posting so much here.

I'm going to crash later, I can feel it.