Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cuban food

Even leftovers are yummy. Here are some of the quotes that didn't make the article (which will hopefully be up soon)

Jose Manuel Miranda, on their role model, Maykel Galindo

We want to play the game, just like Maykel, who succeeded here in MLS. We want to do the same here, with the Galaxy, but we’ll go anywhere that gives us a chance to play.

No, we haven't seen [Galindo]. He’s busy training. We’d like to see him.

Yordany Alvarez, on Fidel Castro's brother taking over administrative duties.

That’s not real change. Those are tiny details. Everything is still really the same. The system is still there.

Miranda, on why they didn't wait longer to leave the Cuban team.

On our way here, I was sitting next to a woman from Mexico, and she asked, “Why? Why not wait?” So I told her about some things going on in Cuba, and she said, “Oh, of course you had to leave.”

It’s not like Mexico – if you play with their national team, you can still come to the United States and play for a team here. Or you can play for a team in Mexico. We didn’t know if it was going to become harder and harder to get to the United States. We get so few chances.

Yenier Bermudez
It was a step that had to be taken. So many things aren’t good in Cuba right now, but the things we miss, we miss a lot.

Those who criticize don’t understand why I did this. They don’t know what things are like in Cuba, what we do as players. They can’t imagine what we’ve gone through. Only we know that. Those who criticize, that’s their right, but it doesn’t interest me, because they don’t know what our lives were like.

For me, it’s an unforgettable experience, because it’s my first step as a professional and I’m taking it with the Galaxy, which is one of the best teams in the U.S. I don’t think if I go to any other team that I’ll feel pressure, because here I’ve been and played with Beckham and with Donovan, who are two of the best players in MLS. That’s why I think this is unforgettable and it’s been great.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

money talks, i guess, that's why. see you all in the USL, or whatever that bush league is called. i hear the indoor soccer league may have some openings as well.

welcome to america, y'all.

L.B. said...

Cuban food... ropa vieja... yummmmm

Adam Spangler said...

Why must the most enlightened comments come from anonymous people? hmmmmmmmm

The Hammer said...

"For me, it’s an unforgettable experience, because it’s my first step as a professional and I’m taking it with the Galaxy, which is one of the best teams in the U.S. I don’t think if I go to any other team that I’ll feel pressure, because here I’ve been and played with Beckham and with Donovan, who are two of the best players in MLS. That’s why I think this is unforgettable and it’s been great."

Now... if we could get the rest of the team to really understand that and take that in, that would be wonderful.

As always, great stuff.

just another one of you said...

that first comment is dumb.

thanks for posting the quotes.

i'm off to go eat some vaca frita

Anonymous said...

"I’m taking it with the Galaxy, which is one of the best teams in the U.S."

Has Lalas already got them alone and gave them some "how to feed bull" to the press lessons?

Anonymous said...

no kidding... it's called, uh, public relations. must be the first thing you learn on these shores, i mean, once you taste freedom.

saludos, d