Friday, August 31, 2007

The real five?

Mexican daily Ovaciones claims the five European-based Mexican national team players to be called up today are: Giovani Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, Andres Guardado, Carlos Salcido and Nery Castillo.

In fact, this is their probable list:
---
Goalkeepers
Guillermo Ochoa, Jesús Corona, Sergio Blanco

Defenders
Omar Esparza, Jonny Magallón, Julio Domínguez, Francisco “Maza” Rodríguez, Edgar Castillo, Carlos Salcido, Fausto Pinto

Midfielders
Giovani dos Santos, Gerardo Torrado, Gerardo Rodríguez, César Villaluz, Jaime Correa, Andrés Guardado, Patricio Araujo

Forwards
Omar Bravo, Santiago Fernández, Nery Castillo, Carlos Vela, Luis Landín
---

I'm anxious to see the real list (which Compean said would be released at noon CT in Puebla today). I find it hard to believe that Salcido would be part of El Tri right now, considering his recent admission over his Copa America exit. He balked at playing in Copa America because of a row he had with assistant Sergio Egea.

You could see some talented youngsters that are expected to be part of World Cup qualifying and possibly the World Cup.

Most Mexican supporters want to see Giovani Dos Santos and Carlos Vela and this might be the right time to bring them in. So far, those two have shown plenty to be excited about while playing for the youth national teams. Whether or not Sanchez thinks it's the right time, though, is all that matters.

As far as the above list goes, there's a lot of youth there and that's a step in the right direction. No need to bring in the usual suspects like Ramon Morales, Oswaldo Sanchez and Cuauhtemoc Blanco. While they still are quality players, it's well past time to move on from that crowd.

Still, it's not the official list and other sites have other lists so it all remains to be seen.

3 comments:

Lewdubuque said...

LB,

Wow, that is a scary lineup! Lots of speed and youth.

Both Mexico and the US seem to be making the transition to the future now, and it looks very exciting on both sides.

Big fan of the blog!

Lew

Lewdubuque said...

LB,

Wow, that is a scary lineup! Lots of speed and youth.

Both Mexico and the US seem to be making the transition to the future now, and it looks very exciting on both sides.

Big fan of the blog!

Lew

JT (Chicago) said...

LB, I hope that you are correct in saying that the over 30 crowd will be phased out before the next WC qualifying starts. They were great players and still have much to contribute to their clubs (CHIVAS! Go Fire!)but I think it's time to phase in these youngsters. Give Morales, Blanco, and Sanchez proper sendoffs withe full honors next year and then bring on the youth.