Saturday, July 7, 2007

Fame and infamy

This article focuses mostly on the economic impact and repercussions of David Beckham, but I did chuckle a little when a survey was cited that revealed that less than ten percent of the American public know who Landon Donovan is.

That's because I couldn't help but wonder what the results would be if the survey was done in Mexico.

He may set their teeth on edge, but Landon is known by many Mexican fans.

One particular instance was a little funny to me. The other day I had lunch with a friend who was hosting a visitor from Mexico. Soccer came up in the discussion and this guy launched into a recollection of how he'd seen on the news a wonderstrike by Landon Donovan that had won the Gold Cup for the U.S.


"That wasn't Landon," I told him. "That goal was scored by Benny Feilhaber."

"No," he said confidently, "I'm sure it was Landon - he always scores against us. It's like a curse."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this guy launched into a recollection of how he'd seen on the news a wonderstrike by Landon Donovan that had won the Gold Cup for the U.S.

Heh. Maybe he was thinking of the P.K. ...

A.C. said...

I think the guy mixed up the two, because he said he was talking about the winning goal, which wasn't the PK, obviously.