Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Back in blue

Vacation's over. Arizona's nice and the lake was fun, although I didn't get around to trying to water ski. Okay, so I gave up before I tried but it was a losing battle, believe me. I did get on this 3-seater raft and held on for dear life while being dragged behind a boat, and that was fun except for when I was pitched off the raft in the middle of the lake. The picture is from one of my tamer rides, next to my daughter Yvie.

One thing I realized, though, was that I didn't feel like I was getting away from it all. I've worked a 9-to-5 job once in my life, from 2/99 to 2/01 and even then it wasn't traditional. I was on the metro beat at the Press-Enterprise so I had some strange hours and wasn't in an office for eight hours a day. So when I left on Sunday morning for the lake with my family I didn't feel like I was escaping from anything.

Still, it was nice to go to some quiet, out-of-the-way location and spend time with the wife's family. At the same time, it's also good to be back in civilization, where internet feeds flow freely and television is in more than one language, and where on said television men kick and chase a ball around a rectangular field.

By the way, A.C. did a magnificent job running the blog on her own. Awesome work, as always.

No comments: