Monday, August 13, 2007

US-Mexico off

It seems the US won't get a chance to break its Azteca hex until 2009 after all. Steve Goff is reporting that the scheduled US-Mexico match for Sept 9 in Mexico City has been canceled.

Instead, the U.S. will play Brazil on Sept. 9 in Chicago's Soldier Field that day. No word on whether Mexico will play a game that day after all or not.

Perhaps the interest for US-Mexico just wasn't there. They've already played twice this year and both games were intense and worthwhile. Now each federation was asking its fans to support another US-Mexico game amidst a weekend with a full slate of games and on the NFL's opening weekend as well.

So fans might have thought "US-Mexico again" and may not have paid much attention to it. The hard core fan would have but the casual fan may not have. But now that there's a fresh and glamorous opponent, the excitement is seemingly there again at least for the casual fan and the public at large. For me and I imagine the hard core fan, the excitement was always there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There has been speculation since last week that it would be cancelled due to an disagreement between Univision, Telemundo, and Televisa. TBH, replacing Brazil for Mexico is fine after we faced Mexico 2x this year. I still want to know if we'll play a second match on the 12th.

L.B. said...

I guess I hadn't considered the TV part of it.

After all, Univision network carries US games while Telemundo carries Mexico games. So what network gets priority?

Anonymous said...

Univision got priority earlier this year, no? Then again that one was in the US. It would only seem fair for Telemundo to show this one but I'm guessing Univision would not be too happy with that.

Anonymous said...

Finally US- Brazil on US Soil, hopefully Brazil's ATEAM. NOw if we can only put our A team as well not that C or D Team we took to Copa America. I want to see were we are at (I know not near Brazil yet). But maybe a 2-1 (Loss for US) game won't be so bad for the US, the growth that is. Heck I want to win but Ronaldhino, Kaka, Robhino...come on now.

A.C. said...

I'm a little bummed, actually. I had a great time in Mexico City while I was there. I was looking forward to the return trip.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Brazil's "A" team may come but they may not care much. Its a friendly for pete's sake! I would have preferred our Ateam or at least strong team at Copa America and measure ourselves when teams are actually playing hard to win. Many of Brazil's best players want be at their best flying in from Europe in between their Euro league games. Also don't beleive MLS teams will be that trilled about having their best players distracted from the stretch run of MLS games when playoffs are on the line and they will further be exposing themselves to injury and fatigue.

I honestly don't understand why people put some much emphasis in friendlies to test the team and then blow off tournanments like copa America where you really have an opportunity to test the true strength of the US squad. I understand MLS didn't want to release players during its season but to see so many MLS teams have a 2 week break in August revealed that MLS could have scheduled those breaks during July and allowed more players to go to Copa America.

Soledad said...

Oddly enough, Mexico/U.S. doesn't interest me very much. It's an average level of interest. Maybe 'cause I'm a Mexico fan, but even when they were winning I was very "meh" about it all.

But I'm so conflicted now ...Pablo Ramirez won't be anywhere near El Tri (YAY!). But he will, no doubt, be coming up with cutesy names and pronounciations for the Brazilians (BOO!).

Those Football Gods mercifully taketh away and then cruelly giveth right back.