Monday, August 13, 2007

Tough enough

I have to admit to being a little unimpressed by the US women's win over New Zealand.

Seriously, was the small island nation supposed to provide real resistence to the U.S.? I'm actually surprised they scored.

I do think that the U.S. looked in fine form, with Carli Lloyd really coming into her own right now, but again, it's easier to look strong against weaker competition.

Frankly, though I liked how well the U20 squad did in the Pan-American games, I'm wondering if the U.S. shouldn't have sent their full team there instead. Playing Mexico, Canada and Brazil' s full team would have seemed like much tougher preparation than friendlies against the likes of New Zealand.

Finally, to note another thing, I'm not much of a fashionista, but I don't like the new gold uniforms. I can't be the only one who thinks of the Solid Gold dancers when I see those things. They're a little too shiny-gleamy, nightclub of a look for top-level athletes. Also, if the team wants to engage patriotic fans, colors more emblematic of the flag would probably be better.

Plus, while I believe this women's team is an incredibly talented group which doesn't get the attention their accomplishments merit, I think the gold shirts are a bit of an arrogant statement. I'd rather the USWNT win the World Cup first, then wear the gold shirts for a year to commemerate that accomplishment, perhaps. Wearing the shirts before the World Cup is a very in-your-face statement that probably is going to motivate opponents all the more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The U-20 team that went to the Pan-am games still took the gold.

A.C. said...

No, they didn't. They were spanked in the gold medal match by Brazil. The U20 team did well to take the silver, though.

Matt said...

"Solid Gold dancers"?

You're showing your age, A.C. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow I had forgotten all about that show. Had to Wiki Solid Gold just to know the years and who the host were, very 80s. AC you are really revealing/dating yourself on this blog:-)!! LOL