Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No tiger here


Before heading out to Monday's golf event, I was a bit apprehensive. I'd never before played golf unless it involved some windmills and castles. I'd always considered golf somewhat of a rich person's sport and preferred a game played by the masses like soccer. But I like to try new things and figured it would be a good experience to be part of Chivas USA's golf event. So I went for it.


I was hoping to be paired with some of the guys I'm more familiar with on the team so they'd take it easy on me since I'd never done anything but play miniature golf before.

As it turned out, I was in a foursome with Jonathan Bornstein, so it worked out well from the start. My guest was unavailable which dampened my spirits some so it appeared we'd have just a trio of golfers until Sacha Kljestan decided to join us, which was cool. Then they started talking about the different courses they've played at and I was wondering what the heck I got myself into. I thought to myself 'I might as well have tried playing soccer with them.'

I had to mentally prepare for the day. Though I'd seen many golfers swing many golf clubs, I had never actually tried to swing one before. I'd always heard it was all about the mechanics and form so I trusted that. Someone also suggested yesterday to keep my head straight and I was all about taking suggestions yesterday so I did that too. I used Sacha's clubs as he was more than generous in sharing them with me. I don't exactly have a set of golf clubs lying around; cleats yes, clubs no. Sacha provided me golf balls, tees and clubs so that was cool of him.

Kljestan and Bornstein drove the carts and we got to our first hole. I rubbed my eyes when I saw a bucket of beer awaiting us. Not one to shun such perks, I cracked a Modelo open. It actually helped soothe me somewhat as my nerves were building up.

I stepped up for my first drive after watching Kljestan and Bornstein look like PGA golfers doing the same. I actually wasn't as bad as I thought I would be. The ball went forward and it got there in the air, so both my goals were accomplished.

We played best ball because apparently that's what you do when you have a crappy golfer in tow because otherwise you'll be there all day. That basically means the quartet shoots the balls and then you shoot again from the one that went nearest the hole and shoot again and repeat the process. We used my ball a few times but mostly it was Kljestan and Bornstein who had the best shots.

I shanked a few balls and fanned on a few more but I did get some good whacks in and it felt good when that happened. Bornstein's girlfriend, Danielle, is a pretty cool girl and we kind of just took solace in each other's, uh, developing play.

It was a long day but overall it was enjoyable. I don't know that I'll go check out my local golf club - there's actually one a half-mile or so from my house - but it was an interesting experience nonetheless.

3 comments:

A.C. said...

Yeah, sorry, I was late, but I think you ended up having a better time and definitely a better score with Sacha instead of me.

I got to take pictures and cut out early. The beer selection was actually pretty nice.

Anonymous said...

Luis i golf and by no means am i rich; golf doesn't necessarily have to be a rich person's sport. If you enjoy drinking you'll enjoy golf. If you want to learn to play try 9 hole par 35 type courses.

Frankie Boy said...

Luis:

I too live in SoCal have three passions in life:

1) watching futbol (growing up on Long Island in the late 60's/early 70's I didn't have the chance to play

2) puros (cigars to you gringos)

3) golf (have played since the age of 12, played 2-3x a week some years (not as much since my daughter was born in 2000) and during that period played all over the USA and had a private club membership

If you ever want to go out for round #2 send me an email and I'd be happy to set up a round together...