Saturday, May 12, 2007

Duck hunting

Ducks are stealing my thunder.

Anaheim Ducks, in fact. Because the Ducks are making a run at Lord Stanley's Cup, the focus is on them.

The Press-Enterprise was tight for space yesterday and thus a good feature I'd written on the Galaxy was held. It will run sometime... uh, not sure, but it's a story that can run really anytime.

In the meantime, Ducks hockey will get the ink and I can't say I disagree. If it were the other way around and the Galaxy (or Chivas USA) was in the MLS Cup, that probably would steal the Ducks' thunder... as well as the Kings' I suppose, if that moribund team has any thunder left.

As it stands, though, the Ducks are in the limelight. They ran the game story as well as a column from the well-versed Jim Alexander on the front page. With pictures and some other things, the game took up about three quarters of the front page of the sports section. On the inside, there was a notebook as well as the jumps from the other stories. Along with a story on the Eastern Conference finals, altogether there was almost an entire inside page dedicated to hockey. There is also an accompanying slideshow that is really cool.

It really is good coverage. Both Alexander and Graig Woodburn are in Detroit as well as photographer Caitlin Kelly. The PE is taking this very seriously, as they should. They took MLS Cup 2005 seriously when the Galaxy made it there and I was writing daily notebooks and features almost the entire week leading up to the game. As a freelancer, that was a boon for me.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. I just wanted to let you know why there wasn't a Galaxy feature in the PE this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are still an a-hole for calling the Colombian team Cucaracha Deportivo. How hard would it be to have called them by the right name.

L.B. said...

Sorry if I offended you. Corporacion Nuevo Cucuta Deportivo is a good team I'm sure. They've made to the quarters and that's not exactly a place for cockroaches, right?

Still, I'm sure America has been called a lot worse. In the end only winning matters.