It's the dog days of summer and the field is really starting to separate. The top four clubs right now are fairly close to each other but there's a noticeable gap between No. 4 and No. 5. Also, another trend that is surfacing - the worst clubs can be found in the Western Conference.
1. FC Dallas (11-6-3). Not the sexiest statistics but FC Dallas is MLS's best right now.
2. New England (10-4-6). Could a double be in Revs' future? Club is sure capable of pulling it off.
3. D.C. United (9-6-3). United starting to flex muscle.
4. Houston (10-7-4). First RSL, then Colorado. Is string of poor results a fluke?
5. Kansas City (8-6-5). Hopefully Wizards addressed defensive issues during time off.
6. Chivas USA (8-6-3). No action since July 29.
7. New York (9-7-3). We'd forgotten what the good Red Bulls team looked like.
8. Columbus (6-6-8). Come-from-ahead loss could cost the Crew come playoff time.
9. Chicago (5-8-5). Blanco-Wanchope-Rolfe triad could vault Fire into playoff chase.
10. Toronto FC (5-10-5). Competitive at home, not so much on the road.
11. Real Salt Lake (2-9-6). Just when RSL has a victory to build on, the club has a bye week.
12. Colorado (5-9-6). Who knew they had it in them to beat Houston?
13. Los Angeles (3-7-5). Going from bad to worse... wait, scratch that; going from terrible to ghastly.