Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Perkolater

I cringed a little when I saw that UCLA's Brian Perk was in goal for the U.S. U20s versus Uruguay. Not because I don't think he's an excellent goalkeeper, but because it's difficult to go out cold in a tournament just as the knockout rounds begin.

So I hoped an early U.S. goal would ease the pressure on Brian.

It didn't happen, and a slight bobble by Brian cost the first goal (like most goals, his was the last in a series of mistakes, but it's always the last one that people notice).

The US pressure managed to cause an own goal to send the match into extra time, so the U.S. is still fighting in this one.

If they're unable to pull out a win, though, it would be the second U20 tournament in a row that the U.S. defeats a favorite in group play (this time it was Brazil, in 2005 it was Argentina), finishing first in the group, only to bow out in the first knockout game.

Update: Perk is playing out of his mind in the first overtime. I'd given up on at least two shots entirely, thinking they were Uruguay goals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U!S!A! U!S!A! U!S!A!

I've never felt a need to say that before this tournament.