Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pulsating match

I've been mostly watching the Atlas-America match on Telefutura since it started. I turned it on late and missed a goal , of course. Then, I got up to make coffee and missed another goal. When it rains, it pours.

Anyway, it was 1-1 early in the second half but Atlas home games start at 8:45 Mexico time, 6:45 PT so they are delayed a quarter-hour here. I just happened to go on Soccernet's live scores page and without thinking about it saw the score. It was 2-2 in the 79th minute. I looked up and it was 1-1 in the 59th. Crap. I still watched it, though, and was I rewarded for it. America scored when Cuauhtemoc Blanco had a nifty backheel to Infante I believe and he scored to make it 2-1. Andres Guardado leveled the match later with an awesome left-footed blast from outside the penalty area.

So I watched the final 15 minutes with keen interest and sure enough there were two goals. America's Salvador Cabanas scored on a great individual effort when he shook off two Atlas defenders and their goalkeeper. But a few minutes later, America had a bad penalty called against them. It was a nothing play but Atlas got a PK and they scored to tie the game. It ended 3-3.

Next time, I won't go perusing live scores sites to save the suspense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, I had to suffer through the Rapids/RSL game.

I know, I'm negative, but I almost always feel let down when I watch American soccer. Not only was the game technically and tactically a nightmare, and also not mentioning the terrible refereeing that took away a clear goal as well as the dreadful ESPN commentating that talked about everything BUT the game, but for a RIVALRY that was being played on national TV there was absolutely no intensity to the game at all.

At a minimum, all I ask is that the teams try. Two own goals, good grief.

brucio said...

no dvr for you?
i dont know how i live without mine