Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Preki pre-trade

We knew something was brewing. We just didn't know it would happen this soon.

Tuesday training was a bit strange. First, Antonio Cue was out there. I hadn't seen him out at a training session this season but that doesn't mean he wasn't at one. I just either don't recall him being there or he may have been there on a day that I wasn't. Also, Nestor De la Torre was there. Nestor is the VP of Chivas de Guadalajara. I don't know why he was in town or what. I was told he visits periodically, which he does, but that's the only explanation I got.

There were three of us there (and I hope they don't mind me writing about them). Jaime Cardenas of MLSnet.com en Espanol and Miguel Melendez of the OC Register. There was a TV guy there too. So after training we grab players, as many as possible. I talked to Ante Razov, Jonathan Bornstein, Sacha Kljestan and Brad Guzan. Jaime darted off to talk to Amado Guevara and others and Miguel also grabbed his share of interviews. We waited around for Claudio Suarez and Preki.

Claudio was talking to Cue for a bit and then he came over and talked to us about several things. When we were done, he left and we hung out and chatted while waiting for Preki. We waited, and waited, and waited. It was at least 15 minutes. We were within earshot of Preki and we heard several things he said. Now, I'm not going to repeat them because, well, I'm just not. It's difficult to explain. They may or may not show up in Miguel's stories or Jaime's stories.

But I will say this. The entire conversation seemed to be about Amado Guevara, and they weren't exactly planning a 31st birthday party for El Lobo.

So after Preki is done, he came over to us and we chatted (audio link here). If you listen to the interview, I'm the first one. I wanted to talk about the Galaxy game and the fallout from that. I didn't want to just jump right in with the Guevara questions. Eventually, though, Miguel got around talking to Preki about Guevara. He said some interesting things about Amado, some of which I used in my Press-Enterprise story that's running tomorrow.

Anyway, for our readers' listening pleasure...

No comments: