Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dreamers



Our local soccer guru, Grahame Jones, has a piece on the tryouts for the LA Times that was also picked up by The Guardian, a paper in Britain. It's a nice article. The LA Times link also has extra photos, but they require registering with the site, which is why I posted the Guardian link.

I also talked to the Guatemalan guy mentioned in the story, though I think Grahame did his quest justice and didn't write anything on him myself. Jorge has played for the reserve teams of Municipal, the club that sent Carlos Ruiz and Pando Ramirez to MLS


Anyway, here's pics of this hopeful, a headshot and a shot of him in action (like Grahame says, he's got the yellow shoes).

3 comments:

L.B. said...

Clearly if the Galaxy wants to win the MLS Cup this year, they need to sign Jorge and play him in the MLS Cup final.

After all, only Guatemalans' goals have led the Galaxy to MLS Cup titles in the past.

A.C. said...

It was cute - talking to Jorge, I asked him about that, and he said he'd watched the MLS final in Guatemala. When Pando scored, "I was so happy. I knew I wanted to play for this team one day."

Anonymous said...

Aw, he isn't one of the last 2 to make it. The way it seems now, we won't be winning an MLS Cup this year.:( Hey, I'm Guatemalan-American and I'm only 17. Alexi needs to sign me to a developmental contract. Frank can just call me up MLS Cup week. Ok, no? Yeah, didn't think my plan would go over well.:(