Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Cup thoughts

When U.S. Soccer announced its intentions of hosting the 2018 World Cup a week or so ago, I didn't really pay much attention to it. It's like when my daughter says she wants to jump into the TV and play with Dora and Boots; I smile and encourage her to want to play with Dora and Boots but I know that that'll never happen.

After all, England was going full force for the World Cup in 2018 and surely FIFA couldn't keep the World Cup off European soil for 16 years, could it?

Well, suddenly the prospect of a U.S. World Cup is great and now that seemingly minor announcement has me downright giddy. The World Cup, right here in my backyard! I was too young and too poor to enjoy the 1994 World Cup. I didn't attend a game nor did the thought even cross my mind. But now, if the World Cup comes back here, I would definitely attend matches. My goodness, how great would that be? How great would it be to go to a World Cup game and then sleep in my own bed afterward? Wow.

Anyway, in an earlier post I gave my options for host cities and venues should the U.S. ever host the World Cup. I'd like to get back into it now but the game in San Diego beckons.

Now, a 2018 North American World Cup would likely be a battle between the U.S. and Mexico because I can't imagine the Mexican federation not wanting to host that. So if Mexico gets it, that would be great too. I've driven from Riverside to 50 miles past Guadalajara several times in the last five years and I feel comfortable driving their - except for the stretch of road from Mazatlan to Tepic. But the autopista system there will be expanded more than it is today by 2018 so it would be easier to traverse across Mexico by car.

Unlike the U.S., though, games in Mexico might be in concentrated areas. In 1986, Mexico World Cup games were played in Mexico City, Guadalajara, Leon, Monterrey, Puebla, Toluca, Irapuato, Nezahualcoyotl and Queretaro. As of the Clausura 2007 season, there are no first division clubs in Leon, Irapuato, Neza and Puebla. Queretaro seems kind of dumpy and Toluca is very, very small. It would need some expansion or not be used at all. I'd like to include Morelia instead of Leon, Culiacan instead of Irapuato, Pachuca instead of Puebla and Veracruz instead of Neza. That would spread the tournament over the entire country and make for some kick-ass road trips.

For pure fun and spectacle, a Mexico World Cup would be great. For convenience, a U.S. World Cup would be ideal. Either way, us North Americans would win!

Party time in 2018!!!

No comments: