Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rooting for the enemy

As the CONCACAF Champions Cup starts today, it brings a feeling among many MLS supporters to get behind the teams involved. Red Bulls fans will set aside their differences and cheer Dynamo, while Wizards and Crew fans will likely get behind D.C.

It's just natural, really. As the MLS representatives in the CCC, these two teams seem to carry the flag for MLS and, in many ways, American soccer.

I don't know if I'll live long enough to see this day, but I hope it gets to a point here where Red Bulls fans will wish ill on Houston and everyone in MLS will hope United loses by three goals to some nothing Central American side. If and when that happens, we know MLS will long have arrived and we won't worry about how MLS is perceived to naysayers from outside our borders and, frankly, those from within. I hope the league will be strong enough at some point for fans of GIVEN MLS CLUB will cheer for GIVEN MLS CLUB and hope all other clubs rot in hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the Dynamo play. Maybe one, maybe..