Saturday, February 24, 2007

Dreamers


I spent most of my day Saturday around five dozen dreamers. Chivas USA held their penultimate round of tryouts in Bell Gardens on Saturday. I chatted with a few of the hopefuls, about their dreams and their stories, hopes and goals.

One of the youngest ones out there was Andrew Robles. I couldn't help but feel excited for this kid. At 16, he already had a taste of professional soccer. His older brother Eder is a full-fledged member of Chivas USA. So when Andrew said their family was from a poor area and few people from his 'hood make it, that feeling of excitement grew. How great would it be for Andrew to make it, just like his brother has? How positive would it be for the community and youngsters who know the Robles clan?

Of course, his family ties made him one of the more sought-after players. I was among them. When I found out Eder Robles' brother was among the dreamers, I wanted to talk to him.

No comments: