Saturday, February 24, 2007

Young gentlemen

U15 phenom Charles Renken thanked me after my interview with him finished and asked me to say hello to my editor, Rob Zeigler. I promised him I would. Sebastian Lletget, who I'd also been talking to, chimed in, "Yes, thanks for the interview. We appreciate you talking to us."

There's lots of players who are pretty polite, but I can't ever remember one who asked about my boss or any who thanked me for taking the time to interview them.

Anyway, this isn't a great pic, especially with the yellow mesh they made the U.S. players wear to distinguish them from the blue jerseys of the other team, but here is quite possibly the future of U.S. soccer in action - Charles is on the left, Sebastian on the right.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How tall do you think those 2 guys are since you have seen them up close?

Unknown said...

Is is possible in the US to talk about good young players without using the words "future of US soccer?" It's not just you, lots of people say/write it, but its completely ridiculous. Just say that the two boys are good for their age and have a bright future. We don't need to keep throwing this unrealistic label on any kid who shows some skill.

L.B. said...

I think the future of US soccer can also be used to describe players who could one day be part of the us national team even if it doesn't mean the kid's the next Landon Donovan.

These young kids are indeed the future of U.S. soccer in that they are part of the next generation of players and could be part of the 2014 World Cup cycle.

A.C. said...

Luis is right - and I think the main problem is that some people think that the "future of U.S. soccer" implies some soccer paradise the new players, as saviours, will lead America to. I've given up on guessing on random unfathomables like that. I'm not a culture prophet. I watch soccer. I see certain players and think, "That guy, I'll bet, is going to play for the national team one day."

But obviously, that's not going to happen now, because they're not ready now. Hence, the "future" tag. It means no more than that.

As far as height, Charles and Seb are both taller than I am - I'd say they're 5'8

Anonymous said...

Charles is 5'7".

A.C. said...

Is that what Charles' official bio says? If so, he's at the age where he's growing and might be taller now. I remember when I talked to Josmer Altidore at the MLS combine and I said to him, "They've got you listed as 5'10 - that can't be right." He said, "Nope, it's not, I'm six feet now."
But my guess was close enough that i"m not going to quibble. But I do think he's a little taller now.

Anonymous said...

sebastian is one great player definitely will go pro, i have played against him while he was at my current team burlingame juventus, and juventus monarcas, and where he is now at santa clara sporting.

too bad he is at west ham, miss playing against him, real good talent.