Saturday, February 17, 2007

Family matters

I love my family. I do. My uncles and aunts, I actually don't get to see them as much as I'd like. So tonight there was a family gathering I was invited to and I wasn't about to miss it.

Truth be told, I'd rather be there than typing here on this blog but my daughters had other thoughts so here I am. While there, though, we got to talking about soccer. (What else are we going to talk about?)

Now, all of my uncles and aunts and many of my cousins were born and raised in Mexico. So of course, they talked mess about different topics. Here's what I got out of it and what sorts of conclusions I can draw from them, since I feel they represent a vast majority of Mexican soccer fans.

- WHAT THEY SAID: Landon is shameless because he urinated in Estadio Jalisco and did you see how he told Univision to screw off?

- - What I told them: Of the thousands of players who have played for Chivas and Atlas, do you honestly think that none of them ever ever EVER did that? Honestly? (My aunt said no, she thought Landon was the first person in history to ever do that). That was fabricated by the Mexican media because that's what they do.

--- Truth: Mexican media is not the most reliable and very sensationalist. Be wary.

- WHAT THEY SAID: The U.S. are a bunch of cowards (coyotes is the word they used).

- - What I told them: Mexico hasn't scored a goal in eight games against the U.S. here.

--- Truth: Mexico hasn't scored a goal in eight games against the U.S. here.

- WHAT THEY SAID: Landon hates Rafael Marquez and hates Mexican soccer.

- - What I told them: Who the %#!*&@ said that???

--- Truth: Mexican commentators say that the sky is green and some people believe that the sky is green.

- WHAT THEY SAID: Omar Bravo, Bofo Bautista, Venado Medina all suck and all Chivas players suck on the national team.

- - What I told them: Medina is good. Give him a shot. Bravo and Bofo, well, they haven't done as much for Mexico as they have for Chivas.

--- Truth: America fans blame Mexico's woes on Chivas players.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O, how do they feel about chivas usa? hehe. I don't really want to know, but I suspect they loathe it. Typical foreign club fan attitude, just change the club names around.

Question: If they dislike anything Chivas and hate Donovan, do they completely ignore MLS?

Cheers.