Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Down in the dumps


I finally got a chance to talk to Jonathan Bornstein yesterday. I've talked to him many times, both in person and over the phone and he's usually a very happy-go-lucky kind of guy. He's honest and he always puts things in perspective. He's really a great guy and he doesn't seem to let things get to him.

But when I talked to him yesterday, I could sense a bit of disappointment in his voice. He still talked a lot and answered all my questions honestly but he just seemed like this injury has affected him quite a bit. Can't blame him at all, really.

I know it's not much consolation but this injury right now is not entirely squashing his spot on the national team. Yeah, he'll miss the March friendlies but the World Cup is not around the corner. I feel bad for Bornstein of course but I really felt bad for Todd Dunivant a year ago. I really believe that he would have made the World Cup team had he not gotten hurt. He was in line to go to Germany for the friendly there in March but he got hurt and wasn't able to go. Had he gone, he would have played well and would have made the team.

Like Bornstein, Dunny's a class act. He never sulked and said many of the same things that Jonny did, that these things happen and he'd get over it.

Anyway, Bornstein might be ready for the season opener or he might not. I'm betting that he'll be in uniform and on the field April 7 against Toronto FC and that he'll be in at least one tournament for the US this summer.

No comments: