Friday, February 23, 2007

Emphatic coach

I covered yet another high school soccer game today. Fourth in four days. Whew. I'm exhausted.

Anyway, I was the San Gorgonio-Marshall game in San Bernardino today. It was cold (yes brucio, I'm wimpy, what can I say?) and windy and bright outside. Weird combination.

I found myself more entertained by the Marshall coach, however. Not that the game was bad - it was actually quite good. But this coach was something else. I think he was Costa Rican - he looked like Hernan Medford from afar. He spoke Spanish fluently and had a rhythm to his voice.

Some of the things he said were classic but the best was:

Amarrense los huevos y juegen! (Tighten up your balls and play!)

But the game ended in controversy. A PK was called in the 9th minute of the first overtime session. On the spot kick, a kid from Marshall ran up and took a stutter step and then scored. It shouldn't have counted. I don't know what the rule is in pro and international soccer but in high school you can't take a stutter step on a PK. He should have been cautioned and the goal should not have counted.

I looked up the rule. Yes, I did some homework on the matter. Wanted to get the story straight.

No comments: