Sunday, February 11, 2007

On Claudio

After I had had a few days to digest the fallout from the United States' 2-0 win over Mexico, I wanted more information. I wanted to understand why the Mexican players and coaches were so unwilling to give the U.S. respect or credit or even a handshake.

So I figured, who better to talk about the mentality of the Mexicans than the man who has worn the Mexican national team jersey more than anybody else ever.

I spent a long time chatting with Claudio Suarez on Saturday down in the bowels of Home Depot Center. He said many, many interesting things but I won't share those now. I have stories for The Press-Enterprise, SI.com to write.

But I will share this little nugget here. When I asked him about Mexico losing to a young squad, one of the responses he gave was this:

"They’re young but really I know them very well and they aren’t that young. A lot of these guys are important players within the league who have done well for themselves. Perhaps Mexico erred there as well by not having scouted those players well enough."

No comments: