Tuesday, July 10, 2007

More ballot help!

I asked for and received a lot of input for my MLS All-Star Ballot and it did make a difference in my final selection.

So now, I've decided to again get some help from the readers here for another ballot I've been asked to fill out.

The Honda Player of the Year ballots went out on Tuesday and I received mine. The first thing I thought was "holy crap, already" but then after realizing the U.S. won't play another game this year where the results will matter, I thought it made sense. Then, I knew I wanted to put it up here to get some thoughts from our trusty readers.

How it works is a player must have played in at least three games to garner consideration. Unfortunately, that rules out Eddie Gaven so you Gaven/Crew supporters needn't worry about him.

Then, I've got to select a 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place finisher.
A first place vote is 3 points, a second place vote is worth 2 and a third place vote is 1 point. The player with the most points wins.

The criteria is pretty simple. According to the official release: "The award recognizes the best player on the U.S. national team who has played in at least 3 games during the calendar year."

Eligible players are:

DaMarcus Beasley
Kyle Beckerman
Carlos Bocanegra
Jonathan Bornstein
Michael Bradley
Danny Califf
Brian Ching
Ricardo Clark
Jimmy Conrad
Jay Demerit
Clint Dempsey
Landon Donovan
Benny Feilhaber
Frankie Hejduk
Tim Howard
Eddie Johnson
Kasey Keller
Sacha Kljestan
Justin Mapp
Pablo Mastroeni
Lee Nguyen
Oguchi Onyewu
Steve Ralston
Frank Simek
Jonathan Spector
Taylor Twellman


So my mind is wide open. Okay, well, I've got some players in mind and I've already eliminated some (sorry, Sacha; as much as I like you personally...) so now I leave it in your hands to help me select my ballot.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like it would be very difficult to give it to anyone besides Landon. He's simply the best we have. Frustrating at times, but undoubtedly the most dynamic and influential player on the squad.

Anonymous said...

1. Donovan (has to be)
2. and 3. are trickier, and I'd say its between Dempsey, Feilhaber, and Beasley. Maybe Feilhaber 2 and Beasley 3.

Anonymous said...

It seams there's only a handful that could even contend for a top three vote. I base this on consistent excellency, not just a few shining moments. They are:
Beasley
Bocanegra
Donovan
Howard

You could maybe add:
Dempsey
Feilhaber

I would vote:
1- Howard
2- Donovan
3- Beasley

Ben said...

Sadly, I have to agree with the first post. By default, Landon it is. My second pick, a distant second, is Michael Bradley.

Anonymous said...

My picks would be:

1. Beasley
2. Donovan
3. Howard

Anonymous said...

Donovan has played well through most of the games we've had this year. He's been better this year than he has the last few years. He'd be a worthy selection.

I'd also say that Clark could be a good second choice, since he's been one of our constantly sturdy players over the Gold Cup and Copa. Similarly, Feilhaber could be a good third choice (or Timmy, for that matter).

Anonymous said...

I'd go with Landon as #1, Benny as #2, and Howard as #3.

pete said...

landon
benny
howard

New Found Madness said...

1. Landon Donovan
2. Tim Howard
3. Benny "the jet" Feilhaber

David said...

I guess most of the others have it right.
1) Landon
2 & 3) interchange Benny Feilhaber or Tim Howard

Anonymous said...

1. Beasley
2. Donovan
3. Hejduk (returned to US team and made a difference)

Anonymous said...

Donovan of course and does it matter who is second or third i'm sure Donovan will runaway with the award.

Anonymous said...

1.) Donovan - has biggest impact
2.) Benny F. - biggest moment/improvement since coming onto USMNT stage
3.) Dempsey - only other person with consistent attack
4.) Hejduk - played pretty flawlessly when called upon

A.C. said...

Where's my ballot, dang it?

Nathan Henderson-James said...

Well, I'm going to be a little different.

I think that, when you look at consistency and making a difference in matches there is really a limited pool to chose from.

So, in terms of saving our bacon and kicking asses, I'm putting in this ballot:

(1) Howard
(2) Clark
(3) Donovan

I would put Benny at 4 and Bradley at 5 (but I'd move him up to replace Clark if he had gone to the Copa).

Anonymous said...

1. Landon Donovan
2. Tim Howard
3. Beasley/Feilhaber

Anonymous said...

1. Donovan
2. Dempsey
3. ? The other two are so far ahead of the rest. Maybe Howard by default?

Anonymous said...

Landon Donovan and Benny Feilhaber are 1 and 2... but maybe not in that order.

the #3 is between beasley, howard, or dempsey.

brucio said...

i gotta go with:
1. donovan - no brainer
2. dempsey - just for fulhams 60 million dollar goal alone
3. either jimmy conrad or brian ching, and i leaning toward ching with his mls cup ring