Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The U

ESPN announced today that the network will carry the Under-20 World Cup games live on its networks. That's the good news.

The bad news is that they will be broadcast on ESPN U and espn360.com. I suppose the first part is good for me since I get ESPN U, though I don't think I've watched anything on there before, well, maybe college football highlight shows during the college football season.

I can't say I've messed around much with espn360.com so we'll see about that.

The US games will be on ESPN U: June 30 and July 3 at 4:45 p.m. PT against Korea and Poland respectively and on July 6 at 7:30 p.m. PT against Brazil.

Mexico, in case you are wondering, will have its first match against Gambia on the web site and the next two on ESPN U.

6 comments:

gnupate said...

A dark lining in the cloud for sure ...

Anonymous said...

Why did I think that fox soccer had already bought these rights? Did I make that up?

Anonymous said...

Any word on Spanish-language broadcasts? I remember last time they were on the Univision family. Would make it a lot easier to watch.

Anonymous said...

It's all about da U! Hurricanes, not ESPN Trademark infringement network...

Anonymous said...

What is ESPN-U??? I know deportes and classic, but whats u?

L.B. said...

ESPN U is a network that focuses on college sports. They show some mid-level to obscure college football games there and will have other collegiate games on there; lacrosse, volleyball, soccer, baseball. I think their college football coverage was okay but I think it could have been a lot better. They basically had half-hour highlights shows wrapping up a college football Saturday. Screw that. There's no reason why they couldn't do a show like Primetime or the NFL highlights show on NFL network, where they show a ton of highlights and analyze games and things like that. It was crappy in that respect for me.

Anyway, they also put some other non-college stuff on there; they showed World Cup game replays there last year as well. It's good for those who get it and I suppose those who have heard of it but otherwise it's all but buried.

Still, I get it on my Dish network package so I'm not complaining too much.