Monday, June 25, 2007

Spot spectacular

I said earlier that Landon Donovan would penalty kick his way to the national team goals record, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a player who can convert from the spot. Frankly, the Galaxy probably appreciate Landon's skill in this area all the more after Kyle Martino couldn't pull off the feat.

Kyle was angry at himself for not taking advantage of the opportunity, but it's interesting that his response indicated that there is no clear penalty hierarchy on the Galaxy if Landon isn't present.

"I looked around and no one really seemed like they were stepping up to the ball. I switched sides at the last second, which is a cardinal sin when you’re taking PK’s and let my team down. If I’m going to step up and grab that ball, I need to make sure I execute and capitalize for our team. I apologized to the guys after the game. I take that very seriously. I’m not going to forget this one. I hope there are plenty of opportunities in the next game to make up for that mistake."

"It really comes down to whoever is feeling it at the moment. That lack of someone stepping up after Landon really showed in the lag after the PK was given – seeing who was going to take it. When someone steps up, they need to put it away. It happens. I need to move on and make sure it doesn’t happen again."

Kyle also confirmed that the loss to Columbus, his former team, stung worse than the norm.

"Of course it hurts a little extra to lose to those guys. Anytime I lose, I feel terrible. This is terrible times two."

No comments: