Friday, June 22, 2007

Copa waiting game

I finished my Galaxy story, as my daughters are now blissfully asleep. The house is strangely quiet... perhaps that is not a coincidence.

Anyway, I'm like everyone else now, waiting for the Copa America rosters that were supposed to have been finalized yesterday. For some reason, there's a delay in getting these rosters out.

I don't know what purpose such a delay serves. By not having the rosters out already, sports editors might not want to hold space for a Copa roster story.

I don't know how the Press-Enterprise department works - I only freelance for them - but my guess is that there's certain space allotted for soccer today, between the Galaxy feature and a Galaxy capsule and possibly some sort of Gold Cup story or something, possibly. Again, only a guess.

However, if there was room for the Copa roster story, at this point they might have just decided to go with something else. I would. If I were making the decision right now, I would, and relegate the Copa story to a brief and then run the roster in the back with the box scores and transactions. Get that page done with and move on to the next one.

It's perplexing too because you have a lot of media out in Chicago that likely needs to file a day-off story, and it does not need to be on the U.S. Locally, I know the San Diego Union Tribune and the LA Times are there, and there's a lot of their readers who care about Mexico as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when the roster will be posted, why would it take so long. Is BB still negoatiating with club teams to release some players?

L.B. said...

Probably not. The roster had to be submitted to CONMEBOL yesterday. It's in. The negotiating period is over.

At this point, you'd have to assume that US Soccer is the one holding off on releasing it, though that's just a guess.