Sunday, June 24, 2007

Cultural differences

I had to laugh at the Spanish reporter who was interviewing DaMarcus Beasley after the game. She got her kiss (she asked for one, so I don't think there will be any problem with that), and an invite to the locker room to celebrate with champagne. Of course, the U.S. officials won't let her in there, but it was a fun shot for the cameras.

It reminds me that reporters for some Spanish language outlets will root for teams openly in the pressbox, and the English ones will glance over in amazement, because that's not done in the U.S. game. So there are definite differences.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you surprisde by cultural differences. That is why it is called culture. To assume everything is American or like America is well being very American.

Anonymous said...

Um, meanwhile back in the barn...the U.S. beat Mexico to win the Gold Cup, but now back to locker room issues, double standards and cultural differences.

Anonymous said...

A couple years ago, I wrote for a soccer website and was fortunate to have press access. I was at the LA Galaxy x Chivas USA match at the LA Coliseum. LA scored on a Landon PK to win 1-0, and I jumped up in the Coliseum press box and pumped my fist. Everyone in the press box looked at me like I was nuts. I was used to watching the match from the stands and didn't know it was so taboo to support a team when you're a press guy.

L.B. said...

It's funny because it happens often and it's not just the Hispanic reporters who cheer or the Americans or the writers or the TV people or whatever. It happens.

I personally don't support any team in the press box. It's understandable, though, if you cheer especially if you haven't been in the press box often or at all. I just don't like it when people constantly cheer or talk to the players throughout the game like they can hear them.

I cheered for a goal my first time in a press box. Carlos Hermosillo scored against DC back in 98 and I cheered but stopped myself when nobody else cheered. Well, actually, I noticed nobody else cheered but stopped myself when it was waved off because of offside.

Anonymous said...

Was that Peg Bundyeza interviewing DMB?