Thursday, February 15, 2007

Jamar Beasley

I was saving a few quotes from Preki, Chivas USA's head coach, for a feature I planned to do on Jamar Beasley, after I saw he was with the team in their first day of preseason. But the day I went to interview Jamar, just after he'd played in the first Chivas USA scrimmage, the club informed me that he'd been released.

It happens that quickly - they'll bring in players for a look, take that look and move on. Players go home, and reporters get stuck with quotes that they decide to just post on their blog.

"Why not? I'll have a good look at someone like that, who's been in the league," said Preki. "I know his past, I know his route, but you always have to give people a second chance. If he makes sense for us, I'm totally open to it."

On where Jamar has been playing: "He's been playing indoor soccer for a few years."

From his own experience, does indoor soccer translate well to the outdoor game?

"Well, either you can play, or you can't play," answered Preki. "Translation doesn't really matter. If you step on the field, can you fit into this group? Can you bring something to the table for this team? If you can, that's good for us. Otherwise, we'll go our different ways."

No comments: